Barbecued Shrimp with Spicy Rice
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 wooden* or metal skewers
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1/3 cup prepared barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup carrots, minced
- 1/2 cup red pepper, minced
- 1 jalapeno or serrano pepper, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Hot pepper sauce to taste
Thread shrimp on skewers. To broil in oven, place on broiler rack coated with cooking spray. Brush with barbecue sauce. Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat 4 minutes. Turn and brush with remaining barbecue sauce. Broil 2 to 4 minutes longer or until shrimp are done.
Cook onions, carrots, red pepper and jalapeno pepper in oil in large skillet over medium-high until tender crisp. Stir in rice, cilantro, lime juice, soy sauce and pepper sauce; cook until thoroughly heated. Serve with Barbecued Shrimp.
To cook on outdoor grill, brush with barbecue sauce, cook skewered shrimp over hot coals 4 minutes. Turn and brush with remaining barbecue sauce. Grill 4 to 5 minutes or until shrimp are done.
*Soak wooden skewers in water before using.