California Rice and Zucchini Casserole
Recipe from Charley Mathews, Jr., California Rice Producer
- 8 cups zucchini, sliced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked Calrose white rice
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 ½ cups sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- ¼ cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine first three ingredients in a Dutch oven, bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until tender. Drain, partially mash with a potato masher.
Combine zucchini mixture with rice, sour cream, cheddar cheese, ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, salt, cayenne pepper and eggs in a bowl, stir gently.
Spoon zucchini mixture into a 13x9-inch baking dish coating with cooking spray. Sprinkle with ¼ cup Parmesan cheese and paprika. Bake for 30 minutes, or until bubbly. Broil 1 minute or until lightly browned.