California Wild Rice Athena
Serves: 6-8 side dish or 4 main dish servings
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked California wild rice
- 3/4 cup U.S. jasmine or other long grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 (6.5 ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced
In a 4- to 5-quart saucepan, bring broth to a boil over high heat. Add Wild Rice; reduce heat to low, cover tightly and simmer until grains begin to open and feel tender to bite, about 45 minutes. Stir in white rice. Cover tightly, and simmer until white and wild rice are tender to bite and liquid is absorbed, 20 to 25 more minutes.
Drain artichoke hearts, reserving marinade. Chop artichoke hearts and add to onion and garlic along with the oregano and lemon zest. Stir often over medium heat until heated through. When rice is done, remove from heat and gently stir in onion-artichoke mixture, 1/4 cup reserved marinade, feta cheese and green onions. Serve immediately.